Monday, February 28, 2011

'Twas but coming around...


Her impatient rule, Her sadistic eyes,
Their fear-filled hearts hoped for clearer skies,
Flogging and pain she inflicted, they wept,
The spoils of war she savoured and kept.
Till one day, the masses held up knife and sword
Revolted against the wicked lord,
Overthrown she was, off with her head,
Which decorated the sword which rendered her dead.
'Twas but coming around...

The last of progenitor's dying days,
The two sons each gifted in differing ways,
One given shelter - a house for his taking,
The other given money - a living for the making.
Sight of the green fell upon the former's eyes,
Stab repeatedly - as the latter slowly dies,
Fleeing with the money though happiness didn't last forever,
A gas leak, the vicious heat,
As brother, home and loot - lost in the pyre.
'Twas but coming around...

Unfulfilled needs - his blue heart pangs,
Desire upon him relentlessly hangs,
Seated upon the throne of shame,
Gifted with a beautiful daughter dame.
Demonic blessing with the touch of death,
The power to shun and take their breath,
With grim, interminably did he blacken his own world,
Till he one day held hands with his own young girl.
'Twas but coming around...

Steady intuition to build themselves,
Soliciting progress into the ashes they delve,
To seek out and search the being of immortal,
The retrieve despite the known impending fatal.
Disturbing the mystic balance to find,
The bright burning phoenix - one of a kind,
This rare precious avian furnishing transfix and amaze,
Their last beauteous sight before they're set ablaze.
'Twas but coming around...

Knowing not where to draw the line,
They're impaired with the need that does define,
How over desirous one must not be,
Why don't they know? Why can't they see?
Balances in life; checks and measures;
Not to be triffled with for personal treasures.
Seeking the bright like beetles they remain,
Only to be burned by the unperceived flame.
'Twas but meant to come around...
------------------------------------------------------------------
Harish Iyengaar
28th February, 2011

22 comments:

  1. I loved it! Each stanza was riveting in its own way and I really love the choice of words. My favourite lines "Seeking the bright like beetles they remain,
    Only to be burned by the unperceived flame." Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that was quick! Thanks anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with Anna... Each stanza was like a new poetic adventure!

    Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well i am not "lost" but i can relate.. i am painting the picture slowly,though..
    "for twas coming around" you see :)).. till i understood that it did astound,a person who tried to look around! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. the best longest poem that makes me wants to go on and read...

    wow..... amazing... that are the words that i can say...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ari, I love how you always have a different perspective :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stephaine, this is nowhere close to my longest poem.
    This is my longest poem - http://bit.ly/bJrt1g.

    Thanks for your kind words :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Harish, I know not what to say,
    Your poem's too good beyond compare!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey B :) I never wish to compare my work with anything or anyone's works :)
    Thanks a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now it is my turn to envy your brain, Harish!

    It is so much an ease and serene flow that takes the reader from a quiet mind towards that deep hot maelstrom of unknowing knowledge!

    Uff... this sound too academic, but I did feel that soul constrained emotion! :)

    Great work, man!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha thanks a lot Liam. Nice to see you here again with amazing work :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a unique write. so much depth! such brilliant play of words! such a theatrical progress! and a beautiful matching image!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you CD :) I was inspired by the image :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Soooo good :) I feel like never have anything interesting to say, because...I just have no words. It's too good for meaningless praise :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. omg cookie thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! You sir are quite talented yourself, beautifully written. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much Miss QP(can I call you that?) :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always learn something from your poems. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks ling :) I feel so useful :P

    ReplyDelete
  20. "Knowing not where to draw the line,
    They're impaired with the need.. "
    Uff. I thought it was amazing till the time I had read it.. When I saw the comments and realised that you were inspired by the picture and then wrote it, not vice versa, it kinda makes me wonder how beautifully its been written..

    ReplyDelete
  21. You're too much Akri :) Thanks a tonne! :)

    ReplyDelete